24.3.06

Former Mets

Excellent reflections on the man, Davey Johnson.

How's Seo doing since we traded him? Well, other than the WBC, he's having mixed outings with the Dodgers.

"I didn't make enough of an adjustment facing big league hitters after facing the Asian hitters [in the WBC]," Seo noted about his WBC success on first pitch fastballs. "The Asian hitters are more patient. It takes away from their power, but they are better at making contact. The major league hitters are more aggressive."

At least he isn't blaming the ball.

*****

How's Mike looking in a Padres kit? You decide.


Batting Tip 101 from Rickey Henderson: "Open your eyes when you swing, Mike."

In Piazza says

"At this stage of my career, coming back to Southern California should be beneficial for me in that I won't have to deal as much with the cold weather at the early and late parts of the season. Colder weather can make it difficult trying to keep loose and healthy over the course of the season. It takes a little longer to get ready these days, but I feel good right now. We'll see how that works out."

Must've been the bloody Ice Age at Shea then, judging by the bouncing throws to second base...

*****

Hey kids, remember that guy who blew last season's Opening Day?

Braden Looper is another, like Mike Piazza, playing with his eyes closed:



They say Looper is going to work out as the set-up guy for La Russa and his lads.

"Looper fell into bad habits mechanically in 2005, when he battled a sore shoulder for nearly the entire season. It took several bullpen sessions and those aforementioned few rough games before he was able to straighten things out."

Sore shoulder. Ok. Cold weather and sore shoulders. That's what Piazza and Looper have spent all winter coming up with for why they failed the Mets dearly last season? If I were a former Mets player trying to come up with a good excuse for why I sucked last season but this season will somehow, magically be different, I'd keep my excuses a little less specific, just in case the truth is there isn't any more in the barrel and their Mets seasons weren't mirages.

"I'm on my last legs so let's all pray I can make an improbable comeback," Piazza could have encouraged.

"I can't stand the pressure of closing," Looper could have admitted. "I got dumped as a closer by the Marlins in mid-season of a World Championship and sucked with the Mets as a closer so if you want me to have a chance to pitch well, keep me in comfy mode as a set-up guy."

*****



If this collection isn't the epitomy of tokenism, I'll eat my Brooklyn Cyclones cap with mustard. Does this mean there will no Japanese language broadcasts for the three remaining Kaz Man fans?

(Just so you know, Ron Darling is in there allegedly, keeping with the former Met theme...)

Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling will serve as analysts for the new network's coverage of the Mets. Gary Cohen will provide play-by-play, and Siafa Lewis will serve as the pregame and postgame reporter on all SNY-produced Mets telecasts.

Siafa?

I just had to google Siafa.



"Siafa Lewis joins SportsNet New York as the Mets pre- and post-game reporter for all SNY produced Mets telecasts. During the Mets off-season, Lewis will contribute as a reporter on SNY's three nightly "SportNite" shows.

Prior to joining SNY, Lewis most recently served as a sports studio anchor for CSTV. Lewis began his television career in Philadelphia working for the NBC affiliate, WCAU, before moving onto Baltimore's WMAR. Lewis is a graduate of New Jersey's Rowan University."


No Saturday Night Live credits.

*****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't they just hire Emo Phillips too?