22.3.05

Kazuhisa Here We Come! (Exhaustive Ishii Research)

Ishii, The Meteorologist:

"Of course I wanted to pitch for the Dodgers, but the Mets are a good team, too, so I want to pitch well for them," Ishii said of his trade. "I'll have to buy a coat because it's cold." in The Japan Times where they report "all the news without fear or favor"

Ishii, The Optimist:

When asked what he knew about the Mets, he said he was aware they had improved this winter and that he was here to "pitch for a ring." Presumably, he hasn't heard from Marlin Scumbag Carlos Delgado, who didn't sign with the Mets precisely because he didn't think they had as a good a chance as the Marlins to win.

Ishii, the Psychologist:

"It's a new environment," Ishii said. "(The move) will help me not only on the baseball side but the personal side as well."

Ishii, the Cool

"It doesn't really bother me, the number of walks," Ishii said through an interpreter about his lack of control. "I may walk a lot of guys, but I provide a lot of wins as well. I want for everyone not to get too nervous about the walks."

Ishii the Comedian:

"It's comforting that I'll be able to recognize a Japanese face in the infield," Ishii said of having another Kaz as a teammate. Then he laughed. "Obviously, I won't be able to face him. I'll be facing the catcher." Ohohohoho. You funny man.

He ought to be. His wife, Ayako Kisa is a television news anchor for the evening news on Fuji-TV and even has her own blog.

Ishii, the Flesh Eater: In an interview following his signing with the Dodgers back in 2002, when asked: Favorite food?

"Double cheeseburger," he replied with the hint of a grin.

Ishii, The Golfer:

"Good weather, good golf courses, I'm a Californian," the then 28-year-old left-hander said in English during that same interview.

Ishii, Last Season's Prognistocator:

"I feel much, much better starting this season compared to last season," Ishii said through an interpreter at the start of last season. "I feel more confident starting this season. I feel confident my form and my delivery will help me." He ended up being left off the Dodgers playoff roster.

Ishii, the Samurai:

"As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your fucking head. Just like this fucker here. Now, if any of you sons of bitches got anything else to say, now's the fucking time. I didn't think so."

Oh wait, that was O-Ren Ishii from Kill Bill, Volume 1.

*****

Hey, good news for you kids who have the chance to go to Shea Stadium this season. In addition to the airplanes flying overhead, for further distractional purposes the Mets announced they will add 20 video panels at Shea which now sports a series of 20 large high-definition flat-panel displays that will run exciting, eye-catching advertising and content during baseball games.

HEY METS FANS! ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED? GIANT ADVERTISEMENTS DURING YOUR BASEBALL GAMES???!!!

The displays will run full-motion video programming with CD-quality sound to provide advertising, sports and team information, including live sports scores and more during games and other events. They will be located in high-visibility locations throughout the stadium.

What rubbish. But, I guess you've got to pay for the Pedro Martinez's and Carlos Beltrans of the world somehow.

******

Speaking of Pedro, lost in all the Ishii hyperbole was the fact that on Sunday, he allowed only one run on two hits in what was his longest spring outing to date. (Five innings) - He struck out five, giving him 10 strikeouts in 11 innings, while lowering his ERA to 1.64.

*****

It's probably overkill at this point, but as I mentioned a few days ago, don't place your bets against Petit making the rotation before season's end.

No comments: